A guide to finding information on the current pay rates for makeup artists. Many countries have a union, guild or trade association that represents people working in the film and tv industries. Some of these organisations have the authority to regulate pay and stipulate working terms and conditions. Others can only advise “best practice” and provide support. Either way, these organisations can be a good ally to have.
Information for Makeup Artists
As information seems to change a lot and websites get updated, we have listed the organisation or union that should be able to provide information to its members or people living in that region.
- British Columbia and the Yukon (IATSE Local 891) – pay rates guide.
- British Columbia (ACFC West Local 2020).
- Calgary – contact IATSE Local 212.
- New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island – contact IATSE Local 849.
- Québec – contact IATSE Local 514.
- Toronto – contact IATSE Local 873.
- Vancouver – contact IATSE Local 118.
- Federation of Western India Cine Employees (FWICE) is the head of all Indian cinema associations, including those for makeup artists.
- List of associations from Wikipedia.
- Hard to find an up-to-date document. This is the most recent pay rates and terms information we could find.
- Various guides about pay rates for makeup artists and working conditions from Film New Zealand: http://www.filmnz.com.